What are lace wigs?
Lace wigs are the wigs made with a mesh-like lace material in which individual hair is hand-tied. The lace material is thin and undetectable; it serves as the scalp and closely resembles natural skin when attached to the head. This is the secret that the top celebrities like Beyonce, Jessica Simpson, Oprah always have the beautiful hair---they wear the lace wigs!
There are several different types of laces used in lace wigs, French lace and Swiss lace are the most popular good quality ones. Swiss Lace is the most undetectable of the laces, which is thinner and more undetectable than French lace, since it is very thin, so you should be careful and gentle if you are a new lace wig wearer.
The lace is designed to blend in with your own scalp creating a natural, realistic looking hairline. When properly worn, with special adhesives, the hairline can be so realistic looking and virtually undetectable, giving the appearance of natural growing hair.
You do not need to sit down for hours getting a sew in weave when you can have a full head of free flowing hair that looks like your own within minutes. These wigs are designed to last for years if cared for properly.
The Lace wigs include lace front wig and full lace wig. Both of them are breathable and comfortable to wear. Lace front wigs have lace only at the forehead of the wig; the full lace wig is better because all the cap base is lace, usually with a little stretch lace placed from ear to ear or around crown, the hair can be parted anywhere on the scalp and it can be worn in a high ponytail undetectably, it can be worn while swimming or sleeping. These are the same wigs that many celebrities wear. These human hair full lace wigs used to average about $800 to $1500 and still do so in some locations. For a skilled worker, it usually takes 4-5 days to make a lace font wig and more than 3 weeks to make a full lace wig.
Lace wigs represent the most advanced level of wigs. You can choose either synthetic or human hair lace wig based on your personal budget.
How to attach a full lace wig?
Please note that each attachment method depends on your personal favorites and desire for security or pattern of hair loss. If you are new to wearing lace wigs, your specific attachment may need to be discussed with a professional stylist.
- Prep your hair, by creating a flat surface for the wig to sit on. You can braid your hair down, or apply a wig liner.
- Fit the wig on your head, and evaluate how and where you would like the hairline. The goal is to find where the hairline will look most natural.
- Gradually starting trimming the excess lace, the goal here is to create your hairline, only cut small amounts off at a time.
- After you have created your hairline, apply adhesive to the hairline, so it can stay on your head.
- The finished hairline should look totally natural, as if the hair were actually growing from your head.
How to remove the full lace wig?
- Put all hair up into a ponytail, so you won't get adhesive on the hair.
- Apply the lace adhesive remover to the adhesive around perimeter of hairline.
- Gradually remove the lace, be care not to pull at the lace, Remove slowly.
- After you have removed the lace, there may be some residue left on the unit, you should shampoo the unit, and with a towel, delicately scrub the residue away.
- You should let the unit dry naturally or you can style the unit, how you would normally style your natural hair.
How to take care of the full lace wig?
With good and proper care, you can keep using the full lace wig for years.
When not in use, always store your wig on a mannequin or wig stand to maintain its shape. Frequency of cleaning will depend on your environment, lifestyle and amount of perspiration. Suggested guidelines for cleaning are after 10 to 14 days of wear.
- NEVER put your lace wig in washer or dryer, it will seriously damage it. You should hand wash the lace wig.
- Avoid use chemical on the wig hair.
- Combing the wig hair before you hand wash and shampoo it.
- The best water for washing a lace wig is purified water. Make the hair wet first before you shampoo it, position your wig in a sink or bathtub and saturate hte hair with warm water. Squeeze a dash of mild shampoo and gently massage the hair. and try to keep same direction when you shampoo and hand wash it. Do not rub the hair during the washing process, as that may cause tangling.
- Total wash and clean the hair, then condition it, after a final wash, gently squeeze the hair to reduce the amount of water.
- Use a towel to soak excess water , then let it naturally dry. When dry, avoid excessive combing. Shake out and brush into desired style after completely dry out.
Remember to keep in the same direction when you either wash or dry or clean the lace wig hair, and do everything as gentle as possible.